Saturday, June 21, 2008

And there you GO.

Answer: Arsenius Jigger


[>>Sahil got that one. =D]

The smarter ones might have guessed this by checking up book-lists that Hogwarts students receive every term. What makes it easy is that throughout the book, only one Potions book had been recommended. And that's th one in Book 1.

However, if you want the links between the answer and the poem, here you are:

The ‘she’ is Perenelle Flamel, wife of Nicolas Flamel. The ‘he’ is Nicolas himself. Bumblebee translates to Dumbledore in Latin. He finished off Grindlewald in 1945. Throughout all the books, the only other pieces of information regarding Perenelle and Grindlewald are that she lived to be 658 (the poem hints at her age) and that Grindlewald was killed in 1945 (the poem hints at his death).

If you play around with both these numerical values, you’ll find that,

6 + 5 + 8 = 19
1 + 9 = 10
1 + 0 = 1
and,

1 + 9 + 4 + 5 = 19
1 + 9 = 10
1 + 0 = 1

If you can actually get to this part, you’ll see, that in a numerical sequence, ‘A’ is the first letter and ‘J’ is the tenth letter.

However, to make it easier, there is, like I said, only one Potions’ book author mentioned.

13 howlers and owlers:

AP said...

Aaaaah *light bulb floats onto head*

I gettit now..., great work!!

blog.sahil.me said...

Wow, that was an amazingly complex riddle, espera! Quite interesting ...
And for those of you who are wondering, I did check the Hogwarts booklist from the first book :D

Anonymous said...

WHOA!!! your mind works in warpier ways than i thought. pretty cool riddle. kudos sahil. it had to be the headboy in you.

*Cheers* Encore! ENCORE!!

Anonymous said...

Okay, there's absolutely no way in hell I could've managed to solve that. :/

Anonymous said...

That was weird. Honest, who would've played with the numbers? Where on EARTH did you find it, Espera?
@sahil: cheater.
@nids: Shoo. He cheated.
@dang: yea buddy. Hota hai. :P
But i was wondering, "throughout the book, only one Potions book had been recommended. And that's th one in Book 1"
What about the one in book 6 then?

Anonymous said...

And please authors, add relevant labels after EVERY post. Makes the blog more efficient.

Espèra said...

All of you: Weellll. If I hadn't made the riddle, I wouldn't have been able to guess it either. So you know, (especially you >>Sahil - and you were a headboy? What's your last name then? Our school?) it was pretty nice work!!


TSD: Yep, about the labels. Sorry. =[
And there is one in the 6th book too? I'll check and come back.

Anonymous said...

IT WAS A FLUKE!!! Grrrr... :P
Oh, and he IS headboy, though I suppose it's hard to know all five of them! And its okie abt the labels, just thought I'd tell everyone coz it makes my work easier =)

And in book 6, i meant Advanced Potion Making, or was that not counted?

AP said...

Hee hee Sahil, I dont think u cheated! u deserve all credit, and a certain uncontrollably jealous sibling needs to watch her attitude :P

Espèra said...

So what's your full name then, Sahil, Bajaj?

(Don't ask me why that name's stuck, but it's practically the ONLY Sahil I know in 12th. Well, have heard of.)
Were you the Headboy in VV too or something?

Anonymous said...

Yep, that's him, my ickle bro (oh he's so totally gonna kill me for this :P)
And I'm answering for him because he often conveniently forgets this blog. And yep, he was Bighead Boy (oops) in VV too, and in class VII in RKP. He's a Percy in the making. :D :D
I'm JOKING, Sahil.

AP said...

I said- Bighead Boy!!
heehee
and "ickle" :P Always a winner!

AP said...

I said- Bighead Boy!!
heehee
and "ickle" :P Always a winner!

"Magical Template" designed by Blogger Buster